Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Montana Blue Bracelet

This piece is made using Swarovski crystals, sterling silver and a CZ. When I was looking through Artbeads.com collection of Swarovski I saw the large Montana Sapphire and new I had to use it in a project. I saw the triangular crystals and thought it would be great to make a bracelet using the triangles to connect the center piece to the band. I picked the Bermuda Blue as an accent to the rich deep blue of the center piece. When I received my order I was not disappointed in the least. The items looked even more beautiful in person. So many times something looks great on the site only to be very different in hand and being restricted to the home, I have great difficulty trying to see things in person. I have to have people and sites I can trust. With Artbead, as always, what you see is what you get. Their photo work is great and they show you the actual item in each color not just one and then a color chart. It makes it much easier to plan a new design.

I love Swarovski crystals and components and always have since first seeing them while living and traveling in Europe. My first experience was a shop in Innsbrook, Austria. They featured Swarovski and had all types of things made with them. The shop sparkled with the light bouncing off the many crystals throughout. The beauty was breathtaking. The building itself was a work of art over 400 years old. The huge beams of wood were worn smooth with all the years of hands rubbing across them. You just could not help but touch them hoping to absorb some of there mystic. This all added to the overall experience and I have always remembered it well. I guess some of the mystic did stick with me. When I was ready to step up my jewelry I automatically turned to Swarovski. I think you can understand why. It is truly the best. I have used it in many of my works.

The high quality of cut and clarity as well as the deep blue Montana sapphire color make this crystal exceptional to me. Of coarse all Swarovski is beautiful. When looking into the crystal you feel you are looking into a deep pool. With the cut the light sparkles off the bottom and looks like sunlight bouncing off jewels in the bottom of the pool. It is mesmerizing and you could look at it for hours. I wanted my design to look like the crystal is floating in air and not trap the spirit by closing it in on all sides. Thus the oval of silver. I cut slots in the oval to fit the corners so it would be held very securely. I added the silver pieces to the sides to hold the triangular crystals. These crystals have allot of color and depth as well. The colors range from shades of blue to a flash of green in the changing light. Much like the waters around Bermuda. When I decided to add the CZ I picked the green color to match. I also added the Swarovski AB crystal in the lower corner for an accent to the dark blue.It just seemed to bring out more of the deep blue. For the CZ I used a Tiffany 6 prong setting. With it sticking out I felt I needed a stronger mount then the standered. The AB crystal is set in a cut to hold it secure. For the band I used a brushed sterling silver. Being a solid band across the bottom of the wrist I did not want it to show small scratches from rubbing on hard surfaces. The entire piece was coated with Renaissance wax for protection. The band is connected with large half round sterling. The catch was made from one of the connectors being fashioned into a hook on the bottom side that slides in and out of the band connector hole. This makes it into a hidden latch.

Once again it is the beauty of the Swarovski crystal I got from Artbead.com that really makes this piece so beautiful. I just put it together. I hope you enjoy Montana Blue as much as I enjoyed making it. Rick

PS, At the same time I made my order I got some awesome black diamond Swarovski crystals. They were to large to work with the bracelet. I am going to use them in a separate piece or Even a set with bracelet, necklace and ring. I will write about it as well so watch for it.

1 comment: