Monday, August 17, 2009

Treasure Chest

Treasure Chest, a great name for a jewelry and lapidary supply store. Every time I go there (which is fare more often then my wife would like ) I feel like I am on a treasure hunt. I always scower the shelves and walls for anything new I just can not do without. When my basket starts to overflow my wife Say's I have enough stuff to last a year. My answer is always Yes but!!! She smiles and follows me to the cash register. She is always good to me.

They are located on the Plaza Shopping Center in Springfield, MO. and have been in the business for years. They are really great people, anyone in the business or hobby of jewelry fabrication should get to know them. Every one there knows their stuff and can help with the hardest of questions or even the dumb questions a newbie like myself will come up with. Several times I have gone there with a new project rattling around in the back of my head that won't quit jell. We talk thru it and generally find a solution. Of coarse I have to buy what I need to complete the project( and anything else that might fall into my lap). My wife rolls her eye's (what beautiful eye's they are. I know where my breads buttered) and I give her my Yes but!!! and we keep on shopping.

This place has just about anything you could want and a whole lot of things you didn't know you had to have until you see them. Jasper. agate,stone, gems, cabochons, in all types and colors. Everything from raw material to beautiful finished jewelry. Don't find the exact perfect stone they will order it or make what you want. They carry silver and gold fill in all shapes and sizes of wire, sheet and cast components. They have something for every skill level from beginner to master craftsman and they will help you to master new skills as well. They host class' with people like Jan Porter of Earth N Wire who teaches how to make wire wrap jewelry. Hers is the first class I took and it was a turning point in my life. She is great and has continued to help me to do bigger and better things.

Of coarse there are the tools. What I call the toy room. Yes I am a tool junky ( there is no known cure. I just have to live with it). They have tons of tools for every thing from basic hand tools to sophisticated lapidary tools. You think of it, they have it or will get it for you. I really can't say enough about them. They are really good people. Give them a call. 417-823-3800

One last thing. There store is set up for wheelchair access. Its great to be able to go around and look at things for my self. They also work with disabled Veterans and many of the schools in the area. Like I said good people to know.

5 comments:

  1. You are making beautiful jewelry. I noticed a couple of the ones up now Bracelet and Cross, have "not available" on them. That was quick. Keep up the good work.
    Good words about wives is always a good idea.
    "Tool Junkie" lol, that describes about every man I have ever heard about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, Don't take the unavailable as quick sales. My studio gets raided quite often by inlaws and outlaws so some things move before I can even take a picture. I would not have it any other way. I encurage them to pick what they want. Its great to see them wearing something I made.
    As to the tool junkie I think its something in the gaenes or a flaw in the brain. Its not curable.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Just read your reply. Like the new pieces
    you now have up, too. Yes, great joy in people liking to wear something you made. Happy Jewelry Creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick: The lighthouse is a wonderful tribute to you sister-in-law and no doubt comforting to Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible! Your lighthouse is wonderful. The great folks of Treasure Chest sent me the link to your blog and now I am a follower. As a fellow jewelry artist working from a Wheelchair myself I can appreciate what you put into each and every piece.

    ReplyDelete